• Users Online:5079
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 

 Table of Contents  
EURO EUS MEETING
Year : 2014  |  Volume : 3  |  Issue : 5  |  Page : 13-14

Vascular image in autoimmune pancreatitis by contrast-enhanced color-Doppler endoscopic ultrasonography: Comparison with pancreatic cancer


Jikei University Daisan Hospital, Tokyo 201-8601, Japan

Date of Web Publication27-Mar-2014

Correspondence Address:
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


Rights and PermissionsRights and Permissions

How to cite this article:
Kobayashi G, Fujita N, Noda Y, Ito K, Horaguchi J, Koshida S, Kanno Y, Ogawa T, Masu K, Michikawa Y. Vascular image in autoimmune pancreatitis by contrast-enhanced color-Doppler endoscopic ultrasonography: Comparison with pancreatic cancer. Endosc Ultrasound 2014;3, Suppl S1:13-4

How to cite this URL:
Kobayashi G, Fujita N, Noda Y, Ito K, Horaguchi J, Koshida S, Kanno Y, Ogawa T, Masu K, Michikawa Y. Vascular image in autoimmune pancreatitis by contrast-enhanced color-Doppler endoscopic ultrasonography: Comparison with pancreatic cancer. Endosc Ultrasound [serial online] 2014 [cited 2020 Aug 4];3, Suppl S1:13-4. Available from: http://www.eusjournal.com/text.asp?2014/3/5/13/129519

Introduction: In autoimmune pancreatitis (AIP), veins of various sizes are highly affected by obliterative phlebitis without damage to arteries, in contrast, the involvement of both arteries and veins is observed in the mass of pancreatic cancer. A vascular image without blooming artifact in the pancreas is clearly observed in the directional eFLOW (Prosound α10, Aloca Co., Tokyo, Japan) color mode using contrast-enhanced color-Doppler endoscopic ultrasonography (CC-EUS) despite perfusion of the contrast media.

Aims and Methods: The aim of this study was to compare the vascular structure of AIP with that of pancreatic cancer using CC-EUS. We evaluated the perfusion image and the vascular image of the mass in AIP patients (11) with an increase in serum IgG4 levels (477.3 ± 314.2 IU/mL) and in pancreatic cancer patients (11) with elevated serum CA19-9 levels (49839.0 ± 80061.6 mg/dl), on CC-EUS. Perfusion images were obtained at 20-30 s after injection of a contrast agent, Sonazoid (GE Healthcare AG, Oslo, Norway), by extended pure harmonic detection mode and were assessed as to homogeneity or heterogeneity (containing partial low echoic areas or multiple spotty low echoic areas) enhancement. The vascular image was assessed in the directional eFLOW color mode despite perfusion of the contrast media (40-50 s after injection of Sonazoid) as to the presence of a dendritic vessel network or only a few feeder vessels. The parameters for imaging were as follows: Mechanical index, 0.22-0.24; transmission frequency, 5.0 MHz; and receiving frequency, 5.0 MHz. The Chi-square test or Fisher's exact test was used for comparison of categorical data of the two groups when appropriate. This study was approved by the institutional review board of Sendai City Medical Center. All subjects gave informed consent.

Results: A homogenous pattern in perfusion imaging was seen in 73% of patients with AIP (8/11) and 55% of those with pancreatic cancer (6/11). The rates were not significantly different between the two groups (P = 0.33). In the other patients with a heterogenous pattern, multiple spotty low echoic areas were seen in 33% (1/3) and 80% (4/5) in each group, respectively. A dendritic vascular pattern in the eFLOW color mode was seen in 82% (9/11) of patients with AIP, but was not seen in any of patients with pancreatic cancer. The other patients with AIP (18%) and all patients with pancreatic cancer showed only a few feeder vessels in the mass on CC-EUS.

Conclusion: The eFLOW color mode using Sonazoid may be useful for evaluating the vascular structure of AIP for differential diagnosis from pancreatic cancer.

Status of the presenting author: Chief resident.

The authors declare: No significant relationship.




 

Top
 
 
  Search
 
Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
Access Statistics
Email Alert *
Add to My List *
* Registration required (free)

 
  In this article

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed789    
    Printed17    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded129    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal


[TAG2]
[TAG3]
[TAG4]