• Users Online:200
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 

 Table of Contents  
EURO EUS MEETING
Year : 2014  |  Volume : 3  |  Issue : 5  |  Page : 15-16

Relevance of endoscopic ultrasound in the management of esophagus cancer therapy


Santa Casa de São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil

Date of Web Publication27-Mar-2014

Correspondence Address:
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


Rights and PermissionsRights and Permissions

How to cite this article:
Assef M, Rossini L, Rossini L, Araki O, Nakao F, Silva J, Duenas W, Gagliardi D, Fabricio V. Relevance of endoscopic ultrasound in the management of esophagus cancer therapy. Endosc Ultrasound 2014;3, Suppl S1:15-6

How to cite this URL:
Assef M, Rossini L, Rossini L, Araki O, Nakao F, Silva J, Duenas W, Gagliardi D, Fabricio V. Relevance of endoscopic ultrasound in the management of esophagus cancer therapy. Endosc Ultrasound [serial online] 2014 [cited 2020 Jan 23];3, Suppl S1:15-6. Available from: http://www.eusjournal.com/text.asp?2014/3/5/15/129526

Introduction: The objective of this case series study by retrospective analysis was to determine the relevance of endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) in therapeutic decision esophageal cancer.

Material and Methods: Using medical records of the Department of Endoscopy of Santa Casa de Sγo Paulo, we have collected data from 16 patients, in 4 years, diagnosed of esophageal cancer, and presented in the form of clinical cases to a specialist surgeon in esophageal cancer and a clinical oncologist, for therapeutic evaluation before and after the outcome of EUS.

Results: Both of them choose non-resective and not curative methods (68.8% by surgeon vs. 87.5% oncologist) before EUS. The best treatment by the surgeon was chemotherapy and palliative radiotherapy associated (25%) and palliative endoscopic prostheses (25%), and by the oncologist, neoadjuvant chemotherapy and radiotherapy associated (56.2%). After EUS, the resective surgical treatment was the both choice in only 6.2% of cases, and the rest of 93.8%, non-resective. The surgeon choice was chemotherapy and palliative radiotherapy associated (44%), and oncologist choice was neoadjuvant chemotherapy and radiotherapy associated (44%). Analysis by the Chi-square method, comparing respective versus non-resective treatment, surgeon versus oncologist, with and without the EUS, obtained values of P = 0.39 and P = 0.46, respectively. The comparison between healing and non-healing treatment had the same P value. Regarding the change in behavior (resective vs. non-resective), there was a change of approach by the surgeon in 25% of cases (P = 0.17) and the oncologist moved conduct in 6.25% of cases. Comparing the changing of behavior among experts, the P value was 0.33. Despite evidence of behavior change after the EUS, the statistical point of view, the P value had no significant relevance. The main factor involved is probably due to a reduced number of sample cases. However, this is a pilot study, and is needed other with a larger number of cases.

Conclusion: The data obtained allow us to conclude that EUS proved to be an important test for the change in staging and therapeutic management of esophageal cancer.

Status of the presenting author: Chief resident

The authors declare: No significant relationship.




 

Top
 
 
  Search
 
Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
Access Statistics
Email Alert *
Add to My List *
* Registration required (free)

 
  In this article

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed577    
    Printed21    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded103    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal


[TAG2]
[TAG3]
[TAG4]